Melaka


I made it safe and sound to Singapore, the last stop in my Southeast Asian adventure. Man, time flies by!=(

I'd be remiss if I did not correct a mistake I made in my last post. When elaborating on my time in the Cameron Highlands, I totally forgot to give props to Father's Guesthouse, the place to stay if ever you want to spend time in Tanah Rata. Gerard runs a great establishment, and I loved my time there.

Only spent two nights in Melaka, and unless you really want to relax and take it easy, it's enough to see the sights. With its Dutch heritage, the city has a much different look than the rest of Malaysia. I was staying at the River View Guest House. Kudos to Raymond and Mani for their hospitality. This is a modest yet very charming guesthouse.

I visited the mandatory sights Melaka has to offer. Started at the Dutch Square, with it's clocktower, the Stadhuys (with its myriad museums), and Christ Church. Went up Bukit St. Paul to the remains of St. Paul's Church, then went down to Porta de Santiago. I also visited the Malay Islamic Museum, but even with the medieval torture exhibition it kind of sucked.

Took a walk around Chinatown, and visited Cheng Hoon Teng, the oldest Chinese temple in Malaysia dating from 1646. Bought enough tea to please everyone back home, but it's kind of a pain in the ass to carry around. But with my Air Asia flights behind me, I no longer have any luggage restrictions.

Don't know why, but the girls in Melaka are more beautiful than anywhere else in Malaysia. They have more style, or something I can't quite put my finger on. But while the ladies didn't necessarily stand out in the rest of the country, for some reason they do in a big way in Melaka.=)

Again, big-ass malls can be found as soon as you leave the old town. Malaysians really are obsessed with shopping malls. . . Melaka might not be the most exciting cities in Malaysia, yet it makes for a very pleasant day or two.=)

I'm not quite ready to head back home. . .:/

1 commentaires:

Scho said...

May be because they are Nyonyas. They look sexy in their traditional kebayas.