Astro Boy


A big fan of the cartoon for years when I was a child (man, that statement makes me feel old!), I was quite curious to see if this movie could bring the inner kid out of me the way Hayao Miyazaki's My Neighbor Totoro did not too long ago.

Having seen the various trailers numerous times, I decided to check out the movie this afternoon. This being Tuesday, the ticket was only 5$. I figured it had to be better than Pandorum, for which I paid full price and wasted two hours of my life that I'll never get back. . .

And I was pleasantly surprised by the flick. Okay, so it won't blow you away. Yet it's good fun for the entire family, especially if you bring children with you. Visually, Astro Boy is superb. The picture quality reminded me of Up! But they did borrow a lot of ideas from movies such as Wall-E, Robots, and others.

It's meant for kids, so they sugarcoat a lot of stuff and it's not the most original of stories. But overall, everything works quite well. I had heard about the supposed political agenda which could be offputting, and yet it realy doesn't influence the story in a negative fashion. After all, it's not the first time that environmental issues and using science for military gains have been used in films.

All in all, a light, fun, and entertaining movie. As good as most Disney, Pixar, and Dreamworks animated features. Don't expect much depth and substance, just an enjoyable and thrilling ride.

Here's the trailer:


2 commentaires:

Anonymous said...

I took my daughter to this movie. Very well done and a good movie over all.

Jebus said...

I pretty much agree (although I wouldn't call it as good as Pixar films except maybe in the animation department) but Bill Nighy as Dr Elephun just did not have a deep enough voice for the character. apart from that I quite enjoyed it.