SFSite Best SFF novels of 2008

As is always the case every year, there are quite a lot of disparities between the Editors' Choice and the Readers' Choice lists. I've included the Top 5 from each list, so follow the links to see the rest of the nominees!


1- Anathem by Neal Stephenson
2- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 8, Volume 2 by Whedon and co.
3- Echo: Moon Lake by Terry Moore
4- Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson
5- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman


1- Anathem by Neal Stephenson
2- Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie
3- Little Brother by Cory Doctorow
4- Pump Six and Other Stories by Paolo Bacigalupi
5- Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson

There are many discussions regarding these selections on the web, but you can start here if you want to get a taste of what people think. . .

5 commentaires:

Anonymous said...

WOW -- BUFFY SEASON 8, VOL. 2 IS A GREAT READ AND I LOVE IT THAT IT IS #2.

It is worth it!

Darkstar
www.fantasy-news.com

Bob Lock said...

I'm on Anathem by Neal Stephenson now and have to admit I'm finding it a difficult read. His attention to detail can be disconcerting and, for me at least, distracts me away from the 'meat' of the story (if that makes any sense?) Also the terminology used I've found to be unnecessary, like his jeejaws for cell-phones and speelycaptors for video cameras. In the beginning I found it quaint but now it's starting to annoy me. Having said that, I'll most probably read it through to the end but much prefer his Snow Crash or The Diamond Age.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious as to why you only provided a link to the top ten. It would have been just as easy to list them here (yeah, I know, I'm lazy.)

Being the cynic I am, I'm wondering if you totally disagreed with the rest of the list..?

P.S. I don't care what anybody else thinks, I loved Watchmen!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to Watch that tonight! I cannot wait!

Anonymous said...

It's incredible the Hate-On that the people at that site you linked have for Steven Erikson. Though I can agree with some of the things said, the comparisons they use are unfortunate. And to rate an author based on a 2-3 books out of a 10 book series, to me, is just unfortunate. I am a true believer in judging a full project than just a few pieces.