News Update

Hi there!

Just wanted to fill you guys in with what is coming up in the next few weeks. At first, it didn't seem as though I had a lot on my plate. But when you stop and think for a second, there is more than I initially believed.

Book Reviews:

I will continue to savor Steven Erikson's Malazan books. I'm more than halfway through Memories of Ice, and I'm loving it so far! But since my schedule leaves me with very little time to re-read novels, the fact that this is an "ongoing" series means that I have to take notes of everything that's going on, chapter by chapter. Gardens of the Moon required 23 pages of handwritten notes, and Deadhouse Gates 27 pages. I already have well over 20 pages of notes taken for Memories of Ice.

At Erikson's recommendation, I will be starting David Keck's In the Eye of Heaven this weekend. The novel will be released next month, and Tor Books were nice enough to hook me up with an ARC.

I will also finish the Temeraire trilogy by Naomi Novik. Random House provided some bound galleys, and I'm eager to discover what happens next. Hence, you can expect book reviews of both Throne of Jade and Black Powder War in the coming weeks.

Another anticipated debut is Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora. This novel will be released in June, and Bantam Dell have sent me a copy. I'm very curious about this one, what with all the advance praise it has already garnered.

Other than that, I will have to give Raymond E. Feist's Exile's Return a shot, if only to complete the series. Flight of the Nighthawks is on its way, so I may read that one soon afterward.

I also have Crystal Rain by Tobias S. Buckell sitting on my shelves, waiting for my attention. It looks interesting, so I may give it a go.

Interviews:

Like the rest of you, I'm eagerly awaiting George R. R. Martin's answers to the interview questions! This should make for a fascinating Q&A.

Rob and I have joined forces to interview David Forbes, and I'll post a link as soon as the Q&A becomes available at www.sffworld.com.

Later this spring, I will have the opportunity to interview Scott Lynch. But that will likely come after I've read his book. The same thing goes for David Keck. I'm also trying to put together an interview with both Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

I have made requests for interviews with these people, but I'm still waiting for a confirmation: Stephen R. Donaldson, Robert Jordan, Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, and Tom Doherty (Tor Books' president).

Contests:

Well, there are two of them running at the moment. The GRRM contest is by far the most popular ever! Remember that you still have ample time to register to both the Feist and the Martin contests.

Two other contests have already been confirmed. The first one will be for Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Scion. And the second one will be for Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora. I can also tell you that there should be a signed copy of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn available as well.

I have a few other possibilities cooking up, but I'll let you know as they become realities!;-)

As always, I encourage you to share your thoughts with me. Don't be shy! If you have any recommendations, feel free to let me know.

Have a good one,

Patrick

2 commentaires:

Anonymous said...

I read 'The Lies of Locke Lamora' last October - astounding debut. It's a book all fans of fantasy can enjoy.

Anonymous said...

I ordered Crystal Rain thanks to this interview. It looks awesome!